Origin of the Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque was a nun of the Order of Visitation. She had a great love for Jesus. And Jesus had a special love for her.
He appeared on several occasions to tell her how much He loved her and all men and how much it hurt His Heart that men would turn away from Him because of sin. During these visits to her soul, Jesus asked her to teach us to love Him more, to have devotion, to pray and, above all, to have a good behavior so that His Heart does not suffer more with our sins.
Sin takes us away from Jesus and this makes Him sad because He wants us all to reach Heaven with Him. We can demonstrate our love to the Sacred Heart of Jesus with our works: this is precisely the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus:
Jesus promised St. Margaret Alacoque, that if a person communicates the first Friday of the month, for nine months in a row, he will grant him the following:
1. I will give you all the necessary graces to your state (married, single, widower, priest or religious).
2. I will put peace in your families.
3. I will comfort you in all afflictions.
4. I will be your refuge during life and, above all, at the time of death.
5. I will abundantly bless your companies.
6. Sinners will find mercy.
7. The tepid will become fervent.
8. The fervent ones will rise quickly to great perfection.
9. I will bless the places where the image of my Heart is exposed and venerated.
10. I will give you the grace to move the hardest hearts.
11. The people who propagate this devotion will have their name written in my Heart and will never be erased from Him.
12. The grace of final penance: that is, they will not die in disgrace and without having received the Sacraments.
Prayer of Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
We can get a picture or a figure where the Sacred Heart of Jesus is seen and, before it, carry out the family consecration to his Sacred Heart, in the following way:
Lord Jesus Christ, kneeling at your feet, we gladly renew the Consecration from our family to Thy Divine Heart.
Be, today and always, our Guide, the Protector Head of our home, the King and Center of our hearts.
Bless our family, our house, to our neighbors, relatives and friends.
Help us to faithfully fulfill our duties, and participate in our joys and anxieties, our hopes and doubts, our work and our amusements.
Give us strength, Lord, so that we can carry our cross each day and we can offer all our acts, together with Thy sacrifice, to the Father.
May justice, fraternity, forgiveness and mercy be present in our home and in our communities. We want to be instruments of peace and life.
May our love to Thy Heart compensate, In some way, the coldness and indifference, the ingratitude and the lack of love of those who do not know Thee, despise or reject Thee.
Sacred Heart of Jesus, we have confidence in Thou. Deep, unlimited confidence.
Suggestions to live the party:
Put a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, some thought and prayer for the Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Make a prayer in which we all ask to have a heart like Christ's. Read in the Gospel passages in which we can observe the attitude of Jesus as the fruit of his Heart.
Lea este mismo artículo en español aquí: Sagrado Corazón de Jesús